[dapper] Memory and CPU usage

Anthony David adavid at adavid.com.au
Tue Jan 31 06:26:12 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 04:20:41PM +1100, Sasha Tsykin wrote:
> I've checked both ksysguard and the gnome system monitor. When running
> side by side, they give different results. They show the same
> application using radically different amounts of memory (eg.
> gnome-system monitor shows mozilla-thunderbird-bin using 62.7MiB but
> ksysguard shows it using ~265MiB). Also, ksysguard which is the only one
> of the two which reports CPU utilization reports almost all my
> applications using 0% of my CPU. These glitches are bizarre and it's
> quite important for me to know how my system is performing in
> quantitative terms, which is impossible because of the glitches outlined
> above. The only time they agree is when some application starts to go
> rogue and use 100% of my CPU for no apparent reason. Even then they
> don't agree on the amount of memory it is using, and the CPU utilization
> ranges from 5% to 10% in ksysguard. I know that application is causing
> the problem because the moment I kill it the problem goes away. This is
> a major issue. I would like to know which one I should trust (if either)
> and if possible, how to fix the problem.

I haven't used either of these tools, but they may be reporting different
memory figures (working set size vs total virtual memory used). Try using
the top command in a shell. That clearly by default breaks up the memory used
and should show you what mozilla-thinderbird-bin is using.

Performance of many email clients is inversely proportional to the size of
the inbox. Is your's large?

Regards

--
Anthony David

Gambling(n): A discretionary tax on those asleep during high school maths
http://adavid.com.au/
0xA72CE1ED fingerprint = EA1E C69E FE59 BBE1 AA4B  F354 BD09 9765 A72C E1ED