[dapper] NVidia graphics drivers

Sasha Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 04:55:07 UTC 2006

Kim Briggs wrote:
> Hi Sasha,
>
> You seem pretty sure you  need the latest driver.  I will just put
> this information up for similar searches.
>
> I experienced very similar conditions you had (everything okay until
> trying to use a driver with 3D support), but I actually had to install
> and older version / backport / whatever it's called (legacy package?).
>
> http://kimbriggs.com/computers/computer-hardware/nvidia-vanta-ubuntu-linux.html
>
> good luck,
> --
> http://kimbriggs.com
In this case you have quite an old graphics card I think (considering
you are using the AGP 4x interface). In any case, my card is newer, and
is supported by the latest drivers. I would like a relatively new
driver,  because they tend to work better, and have other advantages
such as newer apps. In general it is always best to use the latest
drivers that are compatible with your card. Lastly, the nvidia 7667
drivers, and the current drivers (8178) which worked with my card in
breezy don't work in dapper, so I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with
either the drivers or with compatibility with the card.

Sasha