OT: Cleaning a FILTHY Computer

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 31 02:14:00 UTC 2006

Billy Pollifrone wrote:
> Carroll Grigsby wrote:
>
>>Third, most air compressors supply the air at somewhere between 80 and
>>125 psig (about 5.5 to 8.6 bar) so unless you crank the regulator back
>>to a much lower pressure. the velocity of the air stream could cause
>>some damage to connectors, etc. (But it would be fun to watch the
>>cooling fans spin.)
>
> I normally use cans of air since they are cheap enough. If the person
> using the compressor doesn't know if it feeds oil or what PSI it uses or
> can be adjusted to, I wouldn't recommend using the compressor at all.
> :-) On a side note, how much more water is left after filtering? More
> than a rather humid room?

Well, if you put two identical filters in the air line, the second will
also extract water -- perhaps 20 or 30 per cent as much as the first
one. If you really want dry air, you need a refrigerant drier. Think big
bucks. Wnat clean air? Get some coalescent filters. More bucks. That's
how they do it innstrument and medical systems. Don't forget, in the
typical environment in which most industrial and commercial air
compressors are used, some moisture and even small bits of solids aren't
going to cause any problems.

-- cmg