Triple-boot? -- XP Pro/ubuntu [or kubuntu]/Mandriva

Chuck Mattsen mattsen at arvig.net
Mon Jan 30 21:29:59 UTC 2006

On Monday 30 January 2006 14:58, Olaf Stein wrote:
OS> I assume that you current bootloader is whatever mandriva uses (or windows
OS> in the worst case). You would have to let that bootoader know that there
is
OS> a third OS to boot. As I have never used mandriva I do not know what
OS> bootloader it uses and what interfaces it has to configure it.
OS>
OS> It is probably easier to let ubuntu take care of this. If I recall
correctly
OS> it tells you what other oprating systems are installed/found and will be
OS> added to the list of bootable systems before installing the bootloader.

I don't know (can't remember) what Mandriva uses as default, but it's likely
lilo, as that's what I have in place, and I don't recall opting out of grub,
though I could have.  In any case, lilo's in place.

If the [k]ubuntu install handles it auto-magically and at the end of the
install I'd have a boot with all 3 options without my intervention in the
process, all the better.

If it doesn't handle it automatically, after the [k]ubuntu install is where I
would get stuck, as to what step(s) to take right at that point.  Again, not
having done this before, and getting different advice as to how ago about it,
is why I'm so tentative.

Chuck MATTSEN / Mahnomen, MN, USA / mattsen at arvig.net
Mandriva Linux release 2006.1 (Cooker) for i586
kernel 2.6.12-13mdk-i686-up-4GB / RLU #346519