Streaming video from a webcam

neil woolford lists at neilwoolford.plus.com
Mon Jan 30 19:17:11 UTC 2006

I have some old family 8mm movies that I want to make quick video
transfers of.  The quality does not need to be high in the first
instance, in fact small filesizes are more important as I'd like to
email some of them to my brothers.

I have a cheap webcam which yields an adequate image quality for the job
but don't have any idea what software to use to stream from it and make
a compressed file.  (It works for me under GnomeMeeting at the moment.)

Any ideas please?

Neil