resolv.conf issue

Roger Haxton rhaxton at swbell.net
Mon Jan 30 02:57:28 UTC 2006

I use VPN frequently from my laptop where I currently run Breezy.  I have one
issue that I have turned into two issues to try to resolve the first issue.
the main issue is that when I connect to my VPN either through Cisco's VPN
client or through vpnc, my Cisco 3005 VPN concentrator is handing out DNS
servers for my network at work.  I know that the /etc/resolv.conf is getting
changed at least temporarily because I've kept a running check on the file
and it does get changed to my work DNS servers right after I connect my VPN.
However, shortly thereafter, it changes back to the DNS servers handed out
via DHCP on my local network.  When I was running SuSE 9.3 and 10 on my
laptop this didn't happen.  When I connected to the VPN my DNS servers
changed to the ones from my work network; when I changed back, they changed
back to the ones that I had gotten from DHCP on my local network.

Now, SuSE uses dhcpcd rather than dhclient to obtain DHCP from networks.  So,
I thought I'd uninstall dhclient3 from my laptop and install dhcpcd.  I did
this because when using dhclient3 to gain my DHCP address if I
edit /etc/resolv.conf manually after connecting the VPN, it changes it back
to the ones handed out by my DHCP server here at the house.

I'd be happy to go back to dhclient3, but I need to stop my /etc/resolv.conf
from changing when I get new DNS servers from my VPN. Actually, that is not
entirely accurate.  It DOES change my DNS search domain to the one for my
work network, just not the nameservers.  Just for grins, I tried a profile to
my old concentrator, and that actually changed /etc/resolv.conf as expected.
I see almost no difference between either the two concentrators or the
two .pcf files.  If anyone has any silver bullets I'd love to hear them as
this keeps me from using VPN from my linux session which I need to do
frequently.  To get around this temporarily, I fire up my VM XP session and
establish the tunnel from there.  That works flawlessly with the same profile
that doesn't work on the linux session.

Sorry this was so long.  Thanks for reading
--
~R~