change x-terminal-emulator

Michael Bienia michael at vorlon.ping.de
Sun Jan 29 12:10:43 UTC 2006

On 2006-01-29 14:32:32 +1100, Lex Hider wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 07:06:00PM -0800, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > Possibly because xterm is lacking this in its description:
> >
> > Provides: x-terminal-emulator
> >
> > Is there a reason for this or is it a bug?
>
> grep -A10 "Package: xterm" /var/lib/apt/lists/*main*
> seems to suggest that that line is in the description, also aptitude
> reports that xterm is part of the virtual package x-terminal-emulator.

Simply stating in the Packages file that xterm provides
x-terminal-emulator isn't enough. The package has also to register
itself with update-alternatives as an alternative.
gnome-terminal does it in its postinst-file. xterm from Debian has also
a postinst-file doing it but not the xterm from Ubuntu.
So I would assume that this is a bug (or the Ubuntu developers had a
reason for it).

Michael