Howto mount a Samba Share on a Linux-WS

Noah Dain noahdain at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 21:42:06 UTC 2006

On 1/28/06, Ingo Lantschner <ingo.lists at vum.at> wrote:
> Hi Pete,
> thanks for your reply:
>
> Pete Shinners wrote:
> >>One thing I would like to add: I can not install smbfs ...
> >

> > Do you have the smbmount command available? I think that is necessary.
> > (Or at least included with other necessary packages)
> no, it is not here, and as far as I understand I would need to install
> smbfs to get it, which is not possible as already mentioned):
> $ apt-cache search smbmount
> smbfs - mount and umount commands for the smbfs (for kernels >= than 2.2.x)
>
> But there is something which confuses me: If I use the GUI (Gnome) I
> *can* mount these shares sucessfully!! So how does this work?
>
> Kind regards, INgo.

the gnome gui does not use the kernel to mount filesystems.  it is
doing it purely in user-space.

smbfs is deprecated (old).  Try using cifs.

fstab:
//sambaserver/share   /mountpoint  cifs
credentials=credfile,uid=localuser,noauto,user

"credfile" should be a text file that looks like:

username=samba-user-name
password=samba-user-password

--
Noah Dain
"Single failures can occur for a variety of reasons that have nothing