suspend-to-ram woes on a thinkpad x41

Michael Shulman shulman at math.uchicago.edu
Sat Jan 28 20:45:21 UTC 2006

Hi,

I just installed ubuntu breezy on my new thinkpad x41, dual-booting
with winXP (using PQ BootMagic, if that makes a difference).  Overall
I like it very much; everything seems to work fine out-of-the-box,
except suspend-to-ram.  When I try to suspend to ram (either with
Fn-F4, or by manually running /etc/acpi/sleep.sh), the screen blanks
and the crescent-moon LED comes on (but the fan doesn't stop, so I'm
not sure if it is completely suspending).  It is then impossible to
wake back up.  Pressing the power button doesn't do anything; the
screen remains blank.  However, if I close and reopen the lid, the
screen comes back on, showing something like the following:

[4296198.675000] Stopping tasks:===============================================
======================|

I can then switch consoles with Alt+Fx, but other than that, the
keyboard is unresponsive; not even Ctrl-Alt-Del has an effect.  If I
try to switch to the Xwindows console (#7), the computer hangs
completely.

If I originally ran /etc/acpi/sleep.sh from a console, then when I
switch back to that particular console, I can see that it is still
running, and moreover accepting input; the keyboard works on that
particular console.  Of course the input doesn't actually do anything,
and I can't break the program with Ctrl-C either.

I have looked everywhere I can for help, including linuxlaptops.com
and thinkwiki.org and the ubuntu forums and mailing list archive.  I
haven't found any description of a problem with the same symptoms
(athough there are somewhat similar ones), and other people seem to
have little problem with suspend-to-ram on an X41.  I have tried
various suggested solutions anyway, including adding
acpi_sleep=s3_bios to the kernel options, upgrading the package
acpi-support to v0.51 from dapper, commenting and uncommenting various
lines in /etc/default/acpi-support, and trying both 'mem' and
'standby' as ACPI_SLEEP_MODE.  Nothing seems to help.  As far as I can
tell, once it goes to sleep, it just refuses to wake up again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Mike