Ubuntu as a server

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) shot at hot.pl
Sat Jan 28 13:52:28 UTC 2006

Mike Bird:

> On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 03:33, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:

>> Well, it depends, really. Trac, a valid universe package choice
>> for servers, has open security bug(s) for almost two months now:
>> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/trac/+bug/5297

> Just pin Trac to Dapper.

That’s not a good idea for the following reasons:

1. trac is an *ubuntu*-versioned package,
   so is not auto-synced with Debian.

2. Dapper is past UVF, so it won’t see any unsupervised updates anyway.

3. From what I undestood from previous ubuntu-devel discussions, it’s
   generally better to rebuild packages for Breezy than to take Dapper’s
   binary packages, even if their dependencies are fulfillable in
   Breezy (the same applies to taking binary packages from sid).

Given that rebuilding a package is usually as easy as downloading
the orig, diff and dsc fies, doing `dpkg-source -x *.dsc` followed
by `fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage` (split by a `dch` step for those
who like to have packages versioned properly), I’d rather stick to
rebuilding either Dapper or sid packages.

-- Shot