Default root password

robert ubtu at bathnetworks.com
Sat Jan 28 10:13:44 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 00:34 -0600, Richard Dennis Colbert Jr. wrote:
> > I use FreeBSD on my web site and I use root.
> >
> > What BSD are you running??
> >
> > Vram
> >

> I didn't mean to imply that BSD had root disabled by default. I was
> stating that like BSD, Ubuntu uses the sudo command to run things as
> root from a regular user account. Most of the newer *BSD, Unix, MacOSX
> and several linux distros all use this so that regular users (with the
> permissions set accordingly) can temporarily act as root to do things.

Sorry to disagree.

On Freebsd sudo is not installed as a default, but you can add it from
the ports etc. There are security warning associated with this. The
preferred option with FreeBsd is to use su.

You cannot connect to root by ssh under Freebsd, the only way to run as
root is to connect as a member of the wheel group and su to root from
there.

The above applies to FreeBSD 6.0 the latest release.

Rob