A Question on networking

Bry brymelvin at melvinart.com
Fri Jan 27 23:20:13 UTC 2006

ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> Billy Pollifrone <billy at silverbaseball.com> wrote: On 1/27/06, j Mak <joz_mak at yahoo.ca> wrote:                              I am  new to this networking thing. After going through tons of tutorials, I managed to connect my two computers (Ubuntu and mepis) with a crossover cable and make them communicate with one other. Now, my problem is how to share files and printer between the boxes. I searched the Internet but found no descent tutorial on this. If anyone has any hints how to go about doing this or know some tutorial on file-sharing please let me know.
>         Thank you very much,
> J. Mak
>

> ---------------------------------
>

> SAMBA handles file and printer sharing, allowing Linux and Windows based hosts to access these shares. This tutorial should get you started at least.
>
>  http://www.howtoforge.com/samba_setup_ubuntu_5.10
>
>                                         Following the tutorial, available on the ubuntu help page, I initialized my home folder in samba making it readable and writable. If I am right, now i am supposed to be able to enter into my home folder from the other computer. But i cannot figure how. On the other hand, if I am completely off, I don't know what's next.
>         J. Mak

Samba is NOT first choice for networking with non windows computers.

I recommend NFS, this is the preferred  way to network between
computers. This is what we use on our network at our Graphics and
Illustration shop.

NFS runs as a Daemon and can export from the same GUI interface on
Ubuntu as setting a Samba share once the NFS packages are installed.

mounting the shares are done either by a script/command line or even
automatically through FSTAB.
We use scripts with mount and unmount icons on the desktop. that allows
us to mount/unmount shares as needed.

I would suggest adding NFS packages read all the manpages and then come
back to the list with your questions.

Unless you have windows machines however I would avoid SAMBA for file
sharing.

same for printer sharing...it's built into cups. I would think that it
is the preferred method.

If that proves too difficult you COULD have printers shared through
Samba and NFS for files. Actually that is the way we do it here because
we have/are gradually migrating from OS/2 which has NFS but not CUPS.

I don't KNOW of a tutorial. Actually I am supposed to WRITE one for an
OS/2 magazine....(on NFS) but I need another round Tuit  (joke) (for
those of minimal English it's a play on the colloquialism "getting
around to it"

I digress It's late...been doing this too many hours today!

Bryann