Advice request for new system planning

Kim Briggs patiodragon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 23:37:20 UTC 2006

On 1/27/06, David Teague(T-bird acct) <davidbteague at verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> I want to build a system that to run Linux (probably Ubuntu or Kubuntu,
> possibly some other Debian derivative) and Windows. I would like a
> recommendation of:

> Someone will ask what my budget is. I think $1000 to $1500 is the budget,
> but I would prefer to keep this to the lower side of that range, subject to
> good sound, and there it can run to $1500 if need be.
>
> Apology to those who see this several times as I will post this on
> several lists.
>
> Warm Regards
> David
>
> --

David,

If you're really looking for opinions, I suggest you split the money
and get 2 decent computers instead of a dual-boot one (e.g., a
reconditioned IBM P4 1.8GHz machine can be gotten for about 300USD and
run linux well).  I'm not trying to bash windows, just give it its own
machine.  You can't use your linux setup when you're using Windows.
Dual booting just makes for more headaches than its worth.  It should
only be used as a last resort.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

cheers,
--
http://kimbriggs.com