Ubuntu/Kubuntu on Mac G5.

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Fri Jan 27 11:53:48 UTC 2006

On 25. jan 2006, at 5.38, Larry Grover wrote:

> [...]
>>     append="quiet splash"
>> image=/boot/vmlinux.old
>>     label=old
>>     read-only
>>     initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
>>     append="quiet splash"
>

> Well, this looks correct to me.  The output from the fdisk command
> indicates that your OSX system is on sdb3, and the linke "macosx=/
> dev/sdb3" in your yaboot.conf file should be correct.
>
> Re-reading the yaboot.conf man page, it says that the line
> beginning "macosx=" should give the open firmware or unix device
> path to the OSX boot partition.  Perhaps yaboot is having trouble
> understanding the unix path?  What happens if you find the open
> firmware path from:
>
> ofpath /dev/sdb3
>
> and try substituting it into the line which begins "macosx="?

>>> Right, this is not a long-term solution.  I think there is
>>> something you can do in the interim, while you finish sorting
>>> out  the problem with yaboot and OSX.
>>>
>>> If you hold down the "option" key while you are booting your
>>> machine (start holding it down immediately after you power-on
>>> the  machine or immediately after you start to reboot, and
>>> continue  holding it down) you should get a graphical window
>>> showing you  icons for all the bootable devices connected to your
>>> system (I  think this is generated by OpenFirmware).  It should
>>> show you icons  for both hard drives.  You can use the mouse to
>>> select your OSX or  your Ubuntu drive, for booting.
>> The thing is that still being newbieish to both Linux and OS X, I
>> don't fully understand this. Here is what I know:
>> 1) I can boot into the Ubuntu HD with both drives connected.
>> 2) Holding down the command-option-o-f keys all together after
>> pressing the power-on button does not bring up an OF prompt. If I
>> choose "L" for the Ubuntu partition, the OF prompt will show up
>> before Ubuntu is booted.
>> 3) I can't bring up the graphic OF interface. I thought it was
>> just  "o" as well, but that doesn't work. The info you linked to
>> suggests  that I could get a graphical interface by holding down
>> only the  option key at boot up.
>
> Let me make sure I understand you.  Is the following correct?
> (1) with both drives connected, you can boot into Ubuntu using the
> yaboot prompts?
> (2) with both drives connected, you can not boot into OSX using
> yaboot?
> (3) if you boot with with "option" key held down, and boot drives
> connected, you can select either ubuntu or OSX (your next email
> seemed to indicate this is true)?
>
> Can you clarify what happens when you boot/power-on with the
> command-option-o-f key combination pressed?  Are you sure you are
> getting the keys held down soon enough and that you are holding
> them down long enough (it's a rather awkward fingering and you may
> need to hold it for longer than you think).  Anyway, unless you
> really know what you're doing, open firmware is an unfriendly

My Ubuntu Dapper Flight 3 PPC install started getting really buggy.
Things like opening 186 file browser windows when I double clicked on
my USB pen drive icon, things not being able to be selected properly
before the menus quit on me and open up something else, etc. Dapper
is beta, so I understand this is a work in progress. Anyway, I ended
up having to reset the PRAM on my G5, so I decided I needed to do
something different. So, I partitioned my HD and installed YDL 4.0.1
over my Ubuntu install. YDL 4.0.1 is way too buggy as well, and it
isn't in beta, or so Terrasoft Solutions say ;-) The interesting
thing, however is that the yaboot.config file worked perfectly. Not a
single problem with booting into OS X, YDL or from a CD :-) That is
why I made a copy :-))) Here it is:

# yaboot.conf generated by anaconda

boot=/dev/sda2
init-message="Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux! Hit <TAB> for boot options."
partition=3
timeout=30
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
delay=10
enablecdboot
macosx=/dev/sdb3

image=/vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5
	label=linux
	read-only
	initrd=/initrd-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5.img
	root=/dev/sda4
	append="rhgb quiet"

At this point, what I will try to do is get Ubuntu on my G5 by seeing
if I can install a vanilla Debian Sarge 31r1a-powerpc net install and
then try to upgrade to Ubuntu by changing the apt sources file to
Ubuntu Breezy repositories. Hopefully this will give me stability and
will avoid the following problems that I have had with Ubuntu:

1) Open Firmware errors when I try to boot from a Breezy PPC install CD.
2) The problems with the windfarm_pm91 module.
3) The bugginess of Dapper Flight 3 PPC

Cheers,

Brian