Ubuntu as a server

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) shot at hot.pl
Fri Jan 27 11:33:27 UTC 2006

Peter Garrett:

> Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah at easywebsite.se> wrote:

>> CAVEAT EMPTOR - The universe and multiverse
>> repositories are unsupported by Ubuntu

> "universe" is unsupported by _Canonical_ - it is supported by
> the Ubuntu community (MOTU) see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU

Well, it depends, really. Trac, a valid universe package choice
for servers, has open security bug(s) for almost two months now:
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/trac/+bug/5297

I don’t blame the MotU team, as they’re understaffed and overloaded with
work (especially now, around UVF) – it’s just a reminder that if one
uses universe packages on a server, one should be careful to track any
security announcements regarding them (from upstram, or at least from
Debian).

-- Shot