Open Source CRM (SugarCRM is not free software)

Jeremiah Foster jeremiah at easywebsite.se
Fri Jan 27 11:15:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 11:13 +0100, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> > CY> Whats an easy to configure open source crm solution?
> >
> > Sugar CRM ?  By it's nature Not SUPER easy to congigure because it's
> > basically a multi user web application that can be completely
> > customized.
>
> SugarCRM is not free software and barely open source. Use it at your
> peril. Its license is prohibitive.

SugarCRM uses a combination of the Mozilla public license and their own
license. They should be read carefully by lawyers before you install
SugarCRM on your servers.

Here are the licenses:

SugarCRM
http://www.sugarforge.org/content/open-source/public-license.php
Mozilla
http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html

In short, the SugarCRM license requires you to have their logo on nearly
every screen and that logo link back to their site. This is forced
advertising and non-free. But there exist some more unpleasant surprises
in the license that a lawyer can apprise you of, I am not a lawyer so do
not take my word for it.

The general rule I follow is this - if debian packages it, chances are
it is free software. If not, you are probably using non-free software.

jeremiah