png metadata

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jan 27 11:10:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:03:05 +0100
Duncan Lithgow <duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk> wrote:

> Peter Garrett wrote:
>
> >I don't think imagemagick is installed by default.
> >
> >sudo apt-get install imagemagick   (or synaptic of course) will install it.
> >It is in the main repository.
> >

> Thanks true, now that I've got it I can't get anything from it.
> duncan at ubuntu:~$ man imagemagick
> ...works but fine but...
> duncan at ubuntu:~$ imagemagick
> bash: imagemagick: command not found
>
> What do I do now?

point your browser at

file:///usr/share/doc/imagemagick/index.html

Lots of documentation. The imagemagick suite is a "suite" of commands like
"convert", "display", "mogrify", "animate", and "import"  etc etc

When in doubt about commands for a recently installed package, try

dpkg -L <nameofpackage> | grep bin

For example:
 $ dpkg -L imagemagick | grep bin
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/animate
/usr/bin/compare
/usr/bin/composite
/usr/bin/conjure
/usr/bin/convert
/usr/bin/display
/usr/bin/identify
/usr/bin/import
/usr/bin/mogrify
/usr/bin/montage
/usr/share/doc/imagemagick/www/binary-releases.html

Example:  in a pictures directory do "  display mypicture.png"
(without the quotes)

 Hope this is helpful.

Peter

--
Unix is hard to learn. The process of learning it is one of multiple small
epiphanies. -- Neal Stephenson