[dapper] x-windows broken again

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Fri Jan 27 01:59:50 UTC 2006

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:17, Frank McCormick wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:21:05 +1100
>
> James Gray <james at grayonline.id.au> wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 03:14, fmccormick at videotron.ca wrote:
> > > Sorry but this stupid web interface my ISP provides is brain-dead!
> > > Have to top post.I already have that symlink in place from the last
> > > time X broke. This time it was after a GDM and Kernel update...as I
> > > said no error messages...just a cli.
> >
> > If there was a kernel update, are you using ATi or nVidia's binary
> > drivers? If so you may need to recompile the kernel module associated
> > with them.  I had this problem recently in Breezy on my ATi lappy AND
> > my AMD64 nVidia desktop machine.
> >
> > Kinda throws you when you go off to make a coffee, come back and
> > instead of the login screen, you've got a command line :P
> >
> > BTW - unless X is *really* broken, you should have /something/ logged
> > to /var/log/Xorg.log.0.  If not, try creating a extra entry (with sudo)
> > in /etc/syslog.conf to log EVERYTHING (warning - this will generate a
> > LOT of info):
> >
> > # Log *everything* - for debugging weird errors
> > *.*                             /var/log/everything.log
> >
> > then, "sudo /etc/init.d/sysklogd restart".

>    Tried it...but got nothing which might solve the problem. Just
> a bunch of Pam error messages...and the X keeps crashing script
> being run. It also doesn't provide anything..except a blank screen
> Here's the log:
>
> Jan 26 19:57:44 localhost syslogd 1.4.1#17ubuntu4: restart.
> Jan 26 19:58:08 localhost sudo:    frank : TTY=tty1 ;
> PWD=/home/frank ;USER=root ; COMMAND=/etc/init.d/gdm restart
> Jan 26 19:58:08 localhost sudo: PAM unable to dlopen
>                        (/lib/security/pam_foreground.so)
> Jan 26 19:58:08 localhost sudo: PAM
>                         [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_foreground.so: cannot
>                         open shared object file: No such file or
>                         directory]

Hi Frank,

I'd disagree.  You DID get some interesting info that explains a lot
actually :)

I've re-wrapped the lines from your last post for clarity. Seems GDM is
trying to open a file associated with PAM
called /lib/security/pam_foreground.so.  Despite googling and searching the
package database at Debian (which is down) and Ubuntu, I couldn't find a
reference to the file in any package.

It's not on my Breezy system so I'm going to suggest something: this is a
bug in the package.  It depends on a file/package that hasn't been handled
correctly in the X/GDM packages somewhere.

Send your log snippet with a description of the problem to the maintainers
and see if they can fix their package :)  I know this doesn't resolve your
problem, but there's not a lot you can do unless you can find the file GDM
is trying to open (pam_foreground.so) somewhere else on your system then
maybe symlink it to /lib/security and see what happens.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

James
--
If you learn one useless thing every day, in a single year you'll learn
365 useless things.