[dapper] x-windows broken again

Frank McCormick fmccormick at videotron.ca
Fri Jan 27 01:50:37 UTC 2006

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:17:38 -0500
Frank McCormick <fmccormick at videotron.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:21:05 +1100
> James Gray <james at grayonline.id.au> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 03:14, fmccormick at videotron.ca wrote:
> > > Sorry but this stupid web interface my ISP provides is brain-dead! Have
> > > to top post.I already have that symlink in place from the last time X
> > > broke. This time it was after a GDM and Kernel update...as I said no
> > > error messages...just a cli.
> >
> > If there was a kernel update, are you using ATi or nVidia's binary drivers?
> > If so you may need to recompile the kernel module associated with them.  I
> > had this problem recently in Breezy on my ATi lappy AND my AMD64 nVidia
> > desktop machine.
> >
> > Kinda throws you when you go off to make a coffee, come back and instead of
> > the login screen, you've got a command line :P
> >
> > BTW - unless X is *really* broken, you should have /something/ logged
> > to /var/log/Xorg.log.0.  If not, try creating a extra entry (with sudo)
> > in /etc/syslog.conf to log EVERYTHING (warning - this will generate a LOT
> > of info):
> >
> > # Log *everything* - for debugging weird errors
> > *.*                             /var/log/everything.log
> >
> > then, "sudo /etc/init.d/sysklogd restart".
> >
> > Now try and restart GDM: "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart".  If it doesn't come
> > up, you should get something useful in /var/log/everything.log and
> > possibly /var/log/Xorg.log.0.  You may even get some messages dumped to the
> > console too.
> >
> > After the debugging is finished, you might want to change that syslog.conf
> > line to this instead:
> >
> > # Log *everything* to tty12
> > *.*                             /dev/tty12
> >
> > ...now if you want a screenful of the most recent messages, "CTL+ALT+F12"
> > and voila!  Handy for a lot things :)  (ALT+F7 to get back to X, or
> > ALT+F[1-6] for the terminal sessions)
> >

>    Tried it...but got nothing which might solve the problem. Just
> a bunch of Pam error messages...and the X keeps crashing script
> being run. It also doesn't provide anything..except a blank screen
> Here's the log:

/snipped/

     Got X back anyway. Symlinked /usr/bin/Xorg to /usr/bin/X . Couldn't do it before because there was a file in /usr/bin called X. Don't know what it is/was but renamed it to Xold and then created the symlink. However I think Alsa is borked as well as I get a bunch of error messages on boot. More things to track down.

BTW I implemented your /dev/tty12 suggestion, nice!!

- --
Cheers

Frank