Critical Temperature Problem

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Fri Jan 27 00:10:15 UTC 2006

Dave wrote:
> Gary Jarrel wrote:
>> Hi All!
>>
>> I went to switch my  laptop on this morning, and it starts booting
>> then gets to a point saying Critical Temperature Reached (3428 C) and
>> shuts down. Tried using both 2.6.12-10 and 2.6.12-9 kernels in normal
>> and recovery mode and the problem persists.
>>
>> Any ideas on what could be causing it? I think that over 3000 degrees
>> the CPU and probably my who office would melt down!
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Gary
>>

> Hey Gary, maybe the cpu cooling fan is full of dust.

If the CPU fan was actually performing poorly, then the system would be
hot to the touch.  Gary hasn't indicated any physical problems.  While
it almost never hurts to blast out the fans every once in a while, that'
s probably not his problem.

No CPU is gonna actually generate 3000+ degress, C or F.  That's a
little too hot.

Gary - you've said in a later post that the LiveCD operates fine.  I'm
assuming your laptop, that previously worked, is not noticeably any
hotter than it used to be - otherwise you do indeed have a physical
problem.  Still, following my assumption I would check your bios
settings for temperature alarms - just because.  You might try disabling
them if that's an option (just temporarily).  Then get into Linux -
hopefully via your standard boot with the alarms disabled, otherwise via
the Live/Recovery CD.  Then I'd try disabling or removing the sensor
related software like powernowd, powersaved, cpufreqd, apmd, acpid,
etc.  Then reboot, and re-enable the bios alarms (they're there for a
good reason).  If successful, then you can start narrowing down which
system service is causing you grief.

You haven't mentioned the make/model of your laptop yet.  That could be
relevant.

--
Daniel