Why is xorg ignoring the frequencies I give it?

Darryl Clarke smartssa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 22:02:09 UTC 2006

On 26/01/06, Andy Grove <andy.grove at codefutures.com> wrote:

> Miles,
>
> Thanks for that but unfortunately those changes didn't help.
>
> I'm running Breezy Badger 5.10.
>
> I guess ubuntu just doesn't support my system. Should I report any of this
> as a bug anywhere?
>
> Looks like I'll have to put Mandrake back on my system. Shame.
>
> Thanks,

Try this:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "MyLCD"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 84.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 60.0
    ModeLine       "1280x800 at 60" 83.9 1280 1312 1624 1656 800 816 824 841
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

(you can change MyLCD to "SDM-S204" to keep with your config file.)

My LCD is a 21" widescreen, not sony, but I got the ol' "out of sync"
on screen when I first plugged it in.  The modeline is more for
alignment, you can probably do without it unless your image is really
out of wack.

You've also got to remember that LCDs don't use refresh rates the same
way CRTs do.  So there is no need to set Xorg to the maximum vertical
refresh rates for an LCD.

HTH.
~ Darryl  ~ smartssa at gmail.com
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com