OK, what's the trick? (Ubuntu and Multimedia revisited.)

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 08:07:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-26-01 at 07:38 +0000, Anders Karlsson wrote:

> > I seem to have everything in place that you have.  Anything else leaping
> > to mind as a possibility?  I tried disabling the "external amplifier" as
> > someone else suggested with no change.

> Everything looks fine to me. If you use a graphical mixer, try
> switching off "jack sense" for mic and speaker/headphones... That has
> caused problems for me in the past.

Well, alsamixer has a reference to a "jack sense".  I'll play with that
and see what happens.

> What might be causing the beeps for you when doing tab-tab in a shell
> is the pc-speaker.

Nope.  I'm definitely sure it's coming out the sound card.  When I plug
in the speakers, the sound comes from the desk speakers for sure.  When
I unplug them, they come from the laptop.  It's the audio jack talking.
(I tested this by having one of the desk speakers next to my right ear
while my left ear was pressed against the laptop's speakers.  I had a
bit of cleaning of my screen to do after that.  :-))

> The way I approach sound on linux is, switch everything off, then
> enable only just what I need. That usually means only setting master
> and pcm to about 70, unmuting them, and all else is off. Then I can
> play mp3's with xmms or similar. Worth a shot perhaps?

I'll do that after messing with jack sense.

OK, we have success.  I'm adding the list to the email so should this
problem come up again in the future it can be answered more quickly.

The problem was "headphone jack sense" in alsamixer.  When it is on,
there's no sound.  When it is off, there's sound.  It's that simple.  No
other setting impacts the output (in the sense of present/not present).
I've turned everything on except for headphone jack sense and it works.
(I then turned it all off again because I don't want to tempt fate. ;))

So, now at least I can listen to music again.  It's not using my good
sound card, but it's better than nothing.  It's time to make a backup, I
think.  I've done a lot of fiddling lately.

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
mtr1966 at jabber.cn