Default root password

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Thu Jan 26 07:59:45 UTC 2006

Hello Michael,

MTR> When you are different from anybody else -- in this case neither
MTR> providing the default user with root privs (like most non-UNIX OSes) and
MTR> not providing a root account (like most UNIX-alikes) -- you should
MTR> fucking document your differences!  This especially if you go off
MTR> touting how fucking simple to use your operating system is compared to
MTR> Those Other People's<tm>.

LOL.. Err, good point. :) I have to say it's indeed a bit unexpected
to first log in using a password, and then be asked for that very same
password AGAIN when you go into anything from the Administration menu.

I was stuck too for a while wondering what that second password would
be. You simply don't expect computers to prompt you for information
that you just provided 30 seconds ago when you logged in. Computers
tend to remember such things. :)

That's why it's counter-intuitive to anyone who's spent any kind of
time with any kind of computer system/software: When software prompts
you for something, it's always looking for NEW information that it
can't figure out by itself.

So indeed on that password box that pops up, a little extra
information would be appreciated.

(And as for doing stuff in text command terminals & 'sudo' and other
commands.. Regular users honestly don't want to go there. I know I
don't.)

Cheers,
Chanchao