flash player for firefox on ppc

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 14:50:37 UTC 2006

On 1/25/06, john levin <john at technolalia.org> wrote:
> Eduardo Sáenz de Cabezón wrote:
> > Is the flash player plug-in for firefox available for the ppc
> > architecture? If so, where can I get it?
>
> No, there is no (official) Flash player for linux ppc. Don't know about
> the status of alternatives, save that gnu gnash hasn't been released yet.

In the past couple of years I remember trying at least two of the open
source alternatives. One was somewhat able to play some of the flash
that appears on web sites, but it made Firefox EXTREMELY slow. One of
them just made Firefox crash... I can't remember which. At some point
I decided I didn't NEED flash, and that's been mostly true.

Off the top of my head, I believe one of the options was the swf
plugin for gstreamer, and I remember reporting some of the troubles
"upstream." But when the developers learned I was using PPC I was met
with complete silence.

I gather there are difficult technical issues involved with getting
open source flash to run on various platforms, so most have focused
their efforts on Intel.