trojan - removal problems

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jan 25 12:29:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:00:02 +0000
Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> > I strongly suspect this is the source of a problem. How can I delete
> > that directory, and clean the space it occupies? All suggestions
> > gratefully received.
>
> Have you tried booting into single user mode and then trying to delete
> this file?

I don't know the function of this file, but I have it here, with a time
stamp that suggests it was created on install.

$ sudo ls -ld /dev/.static/dev
drwxr-xr-x  12 root root 28672 2005-10-22 15:06 /dev/.static/dev

 $ sudo du -sh /dev/.static/dev
112K	/dev/.static/dev

I have a feeling deleting it is not a Good Thing (tm)  :)

On my box it contains alot of stuff that looks like this :

< heavily snipped>
crw-rw----  1 root video    81, 201 2005-09-26 19:12 vtx9
crw-rw----  1 root video    82,   0 2005-09-26 19:12 winradio0
crw-rw----  1 root video    82,   1 2005-09-26 19:12 winradio1
prw-r-----  1 root adm            0 2005-10-22 14:53 xconsole
brw-rw----  1 root disk     13,   0 2005-09-26 19:11 xda
brw-rw----  1 root disk     13,   1 2005-09-26 19:11 xda1

<more snippage>

Peter

 --
Unix is hard to learn. The process of learning it is one of multiple small
epiphanies. -- Neal Stephenson