Need insight on designing a package manager

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Mon Jan 23 20:24:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 13:29 -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:
> > Replacing scripts with meta information that is interpreted has been
> > discussed a few times and I most people involved think this is a good
> > thing.
>
> XML baby.  ;>

I haven't read the whole thing, but this is where my stomach began
turning a bit. Please, *please*, do not overestimate XML as a generic
data representation language. I have written a half-finished essay about
the badness of XML here:
<http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/doc/xmlds>
If you ever begin thinking of using XML anywhere outside the realm of
structured text documents, I think you should think again, at least
thrice.

Fredrik Tolf