Ubuntu/Kubuntu on Mac G5.

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Tue Jan 24 15:30:39 UTC 2006

On 24. jan 2006, at 13.49, Larry Grover wrote:

> Brian Durant wrote:
>> On 24. jan 2006, at 3.35, Larry Grover wrote:
>>> I'm not sure why OSX won't boot, but perhaps it is related to
>>> the  problem in setting the correct open firmware device name?
>> Wow Larry, I am impressed:-) Well OK, fairly impressed. Now I can
>> boot into Ubuntu, but OS X is still a no go. Yaboot simply can't
>> load  OS X. it tries, and the screen flickers, but nothing
>> happens. After  three tries, it says something like booting "Mac
>> OS X..." and nothing  works, so I have to do a hard reboot.
>
> Whew!  Well it sounds like half your problem is sorted.
>
> I'm quite puzzled by why OSX won't boot.  I know you've posted this
> before, but would you mind posting the following, from inside
> Ubuntu after you boot from your hard drive using yaboot:
>
> (1) the output from "fdisk -l" /dev/sdb (your OSX system disk)

/dev/sdb
         #                    type name                  length
base      ( size )  system
/dev/sdb1     Apple_partition_map Apple                     63 @
1         ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/sdb2              Apple_Free                       262144 @
64        (128.0M)  Free space
/dev/sdb3               Apple_HFS Untitled           319910838 @
262208    (152.5G)  HFS
/dev/sdb4              Apple_Free                           10 @
320173046 (  5.0k)  Free space

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=320173056
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

> (2) the contents of your /etc/yaboot.conf file

## yaboot.conf generated by the Ubuntu installer
##
## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you
## have!!
## see also: /usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples for example configurations.
##
## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

boot=/dev/sda2
device=/ht at 0,f2000000/pci at 3/k2-sata-root at c/k2-sata at 0/disk at 0:
partition=3
root=/dev/sda3
timeout=100
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
enablecdboot

# to boot OSX by default
# to boot linux by default, change to defaultos=linux
defaultos=macosx

macosx=/dev/sdb3

image=/boot/vmlinux
	label=Linux
	read-only
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="quiet splash"

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
	label=old
	read-only
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
	append="quiet splash"

>> Any ideas will be appreciated. I am glad Ubuntu can boot, but I
>> need  to be able to boot both OS's and unplugging the hard drive
>> every time  I switch OS can't be an option.
>
> Right, this is not a long-term solution.  I think there is
> something you can do in the interim, while you finish sorting out
> the problem with yaboot and OSX.
>
> If you hold down the "option" key while you are booting your
> machine (start holding it down immediately after you power-on the
> machine or immediately after you start to reboot, and continue
> holding it down) you should get a graphical window showing you
> icons for all the bootable devices connected to your system (I
> think this is generated by OpenFirmware).  It should show you icons
> for both hard drives.  You can use the mouse to select your OSX or
> your Ubuntu drive, for booting.

The thing is that still being newbieish to both Linux and OS X, I
don't fully understand this. Here is what I know:

1) I can boot into the Ubuntu HD with both drives connected.
2) Holding down the command-option-o-f keys all together after
pressing the power-on button does not bring up an OF prompt. If I
choose "L" for the Ubuntu partition, the OF prompt will show up
before Ubuntu is booted.
3) I can't bring up the graphic OF interface. I thought it was just
"o" as well, but that doesn't work. The info you linked to suggests
that I could get a graphical interface by holding down only the
option key at boot up.

> You may find the following pages describe this better than me:
> http://www.jacsoft.co.nz/Tech_Notes/Mac_Keys.htm
>
> This is still inconvenient, but it is not as bad as having to go
> inside your case and manually disconnect or connect a hard drive.
>
>> When I get this sorted, then I can get down to sorting Ubuntu
>> out.  Windfarm, among other things isn't working :-(
>> Oh yeah, my path was as follows:
>> /ht at 0,f2000000/pci at 3/k2-sata-root at c/k2-sata at 0/disk at 0:
>
> Regards,
> Larry

Thanks for your patience and persistence,

Brian