Problems partitioning during install

Robert Aldridge bamarob55 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 20:44:59 UTC 2006

This probably isn't an Ubuntu-specific issue, but thought I'd start here to
see if someone could help...

My mom's Windows 98 PC is hosed, so I offered to put Ubuntu on it for her.
She mainly has the computer so the grandchildren can play simple games on it
(No latest/greatest accelerated 3D stuff.  Just fun, simple games for the
kids.)  So, I take an Ubuntu 5.10 install CD and boot from it.  When it gets
to the point where it should bring up the "Partition Disks" screen, it seems
to be detecting disks and the progress meter goes to 100%, then the same
screen repeats but this time the progress meter only goes to 52% where it
hangs.  I tried multiple times but couldn't get past this.  This is a
stand-alone box that isn't connected to any network.  Does the installer
need to pull something from the network to get the partitioner to work?  I
couldn't imagine it having this limitation, but am tempted to take the PC
back to my place and plug it in to my router during the install.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert