Dapper Flight 3: update-notifier insists on restart

Raymond Lillard ryl at plasmaequip.com
Sun Jan 22 23:34:34 UTC 2006

paul cooke wrote:
> On Sunday 22 January 2006 01:08, Raymond Lillard wrote:
>> I have limited experience with Ubuntu and no experience with Debian,
>> but a decade of experience with Linux -- mostly Redhat and Gentoo.
>>
>> A client asked me to look into Ubuntu as a desktop so I loaded the
>> latest test release I could find which seems to be as above.
>>
>> I have loaded it on a spare disk for my Dell D810 laptop.  The
>> basic installation went smoothly enough.  After I was done with
>> the first batch of updates I restarted the system.  Since then
>> "update-notifier" process tells me that a "Restart is Required"
>> each time I start the system.  The icon shows the recycle arrows.
>> I am assuming this is due to some discombobulation lingering from
>> the initial update and not a problem with the notifier itself.
>>
>> I have restarted the system many times, for this, and many other
>> unrelated reasons.  I have installed quite a few applications
>> with "Synaptic Package Manager" and as well as from tarballs.
>> Save this little annoyance, the system seems to be operating
>> flawlessly.
>>
>> There is no manpage for the notifier that I can find, so does
>> anybody know what the "update-notifier" is looking for and how
>> can I repair this.  I can download the sources and tear into
>> this if need be, but I'm hoping someone can save me the time
>> and trouble.
>
> as far as I can tell, there's a flag file set in /var/run called
> "reboot-required"
>
> I've just done an update immediately after installing flight 3 and the "flag"
> was present immediately after closing update manager. I've since rebooted
> and it's no longer there...
>
> perhaps something is supposed to delete during the boot sequence?

That was my assessment as well.  Removing the file fixed the
problem and all seems well.  Thank you.

> I've turned off update notifier now anyway as before during Breezy testing, it
> was possible to be caught out with a borked system... I usually did the
> update about once a fortnight when there were no reports of major borkage on
> the mailing list.

Seems like a good idea.

>> Thanks for your time.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ray
>>
>> PS  I'm rather impressed at the polish of Ubuntu.  I've been
>>      wondering what all the fuss was about.
>
> The new Dapper install was amazing. I've never had an install before that
> automatically set up X correctly with no input from me. All I had to do was
> choose to wipe the entire disk, then pick a "name" for the box and supply
> user details and password...
>
> I can remember many fraught moments praying that the X config wouldn't bork my
> monitor... Mind you, that was several years ago :)
>
> All I want now is some repository info so I can pull down xubuntu and get back
> to xfce... the box I'm running dapper on has only 128MB of ram... rather
> scanty for Gnome these days.

Those of us who have been doing this for a while all have
our war stories, so I'll not bore anyone with mine.  I will
say, it was the smoothest install I've ever seen of an open-
source system.

The only thing I notice that I don't like is that the Gnome
GUI is sluggish.  My laptop has a 2.0 GHz processor with 2MB
cache and 1GB RAM, so the hardware is not the reason.  I've
run recent Gnome installations in other distros that are not
so sluggish.  I'm guessing the proprietary ATI driver would
be faster, but I'm running the open-source one on Gentoo
without the sluggishness.  My regular working environment is
Xfce/OpenBSD and it's quite snappy with the opensource driver.

One last question.  I have tried to move some large files
onto this install with netcat (nc) but something is blocking
the connection.  Dapper is returning RST.  I looked at the
output from "iptables -L" and everything is set to "accept".
What's up with that?

All-in-all, I'm very impressed.  I don't know what needs fixing
for the final release as this test release is pretty damn good.
While Ubuntu isn't my personal choice of a work environment;
for my road-warrior friend (who is a rather typical user), this
will work out just great without waiting for the official Dapper.

Best,
Ray