samba and win xp in different networks

Mateusz Kijowski mateusz_kijowski at o2.pl
Sun Jan 22 23:30:32 UTC 2006

Dnia niedziela, 22 stycznia 2006 19:25, Haris Peco napisaƂ:
> Hello,
>   How i need set samba with Win Xp machine in another network
> (win and ubuntu are visible in tcp) see my ubuntu

<cut>

Hi,

Basic smb name resolution relies on broadcast messages, which will not go from
one subnet to another.

The first and easiest way to solve your problem would be to make one subnet
instead of two. This way everything should be ok.

If that is not an option you might run a WINS server on any of the hosts
mentioned, and configure the client machines to use it.

Enabling WINS server on samba basically means putting a

wins support = yes

line in your smb.conf file. I have no idea how does one run a WINS server on a
Windows box, it is propably only availible in "server" versions of windows
anyway. To configure the clients to use the wins server on you might use DHCP
or configure it manually. In XP it would be somewhere in "Properties" of a
network connection. To configure samba to use a wins server you would have to
put

wins server = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

in your smb.conf file. Note that you can only enable one of above features in
samba at one time, that is putting wins support = yes and wins server =
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx will *not* work, according to samba docs.

Another option would be to use the lmhosts or hosts file or use
\\[123.123.123.123] instead of \\SERVERNAME, where 123.123.123.123 is the ip
address of SERVERNAME, to access shares.

You might also want to read
http://us5.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html,
or google for "cross subnet browsing"