Which is better? OSX or Ubuntu?

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 17:10:52 UTC 2006

On 1/22/06, Richard Colbert Jr <richard at venuspcservice.com> wrote:
> Don't reckon anyone has a couple 128MB PC100 DIMMS they would part with so I
> can get this iMac to run OSX and Ubuntu at a decent speed. All I have is
> 64's and 256's. It won't support the 256's and two 64's is FREAKING SLOW AS
> HELL with Ubuntu (works fine, just slow). I have OS 9.0.3 installed and it
> crashes constantly (I think it is corrupted - came on iMac and have no CD's
> to reinstall).

OS 9.0.3 is perhaps _the_ buggiest version of OS 9 you can find :-(

However, good news. You can simply download the OS 9.1 (you may have
to d/l the 9.0.4 updater first) and update.

I would suggest the following update path:
9.0.3 -> 9.0.4
9.0.4 -> 9.1
9.1 -> 9.2.1

(yes, it's convoluted, but, that's the way things were back in the day).

As for your RAM... your machine can take (officially) up to 512 MB of
RAM (<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=43099>) using 2 x
256 MB and unofficially
(<http://www.apple-history.com/body.php?page=gallery&model=imacdv&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC>)
1 GB using 2 x 512 MB!