Can't boot a second HDD on slave

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Sun Jan 22 14:08:06 UTC 2006

Hello,
When booting I get Grub Error 21: can't find the HDD.

The HDD's are IDE, the one that boots is Hda on master
the second one is just behind. The Grub (and kernel)that boots is in
/boot/grub/menu.lst inside the / partition.

I've got:
=-=-=-==-=-=
The text bloc I added in /boot/grub/menu.lst for this second HDD:

title		Edubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-9-386
root		(hd1,1)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-386 root=/dev/hdb2 ro quiet
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-9-386
savedefault
boot

Content of the 'sudo cfdisk /dev/hdb'

       hdb1                                 Primaire        Linux swap /
Solaris                                403,04
       hdb2               Amorce            Primaire        Linux ext3
               [/]                      3997,49
       hdb3                                 Primaire        Linux ext3
                                       35615,47

Content of the device.map (added the second line after a first reboot)

$ cat /boot/grub/device.map
(hd0)   /dev/hda
(hd1)   /dev/hdb

It's my first experience to add a HDD, do someone see what I could have
mistaken or forgotten ?
Thanks a lot for help, Joyce Markoll.