Hotway(d) Solution

Old Rocker old.rocker at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 22 11:23:21 UTC 2006

In the repositories there is a very useful program called hotway.  This
acts as a "gateway" to certain webmail services so your email program
can pull mail into a pop3 account.  Once installed, it becomes hotwayd,
and can run as a daemon.

However, there are problems with using this program in ubuntu as it
seems not set up to use either inetd or xinetd (either a required
dependency) in the same way other distributions do.  The website where
you can obtain documentation for hotwayd is
http://hotwayd.sourceforge.net, but its not up and you get this when
you go there:

"CRITICAL_ERROR:
Line : generic, class2.php

Error reported as: [6]: Unable to form a valid connection to mySQL.
Please check that your e107_config.php contains the correct
information."

So here is a short history of what I did to get hotwayd going :-)

First of all, get what documentation there is.  There is a tarball which
you can download from:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/hotwayd/hotwayd-0.8.2.tar.gz?download

Once extracted you will see a number of files which could give you some
clues as to what is going on and how to solve it.

The documentation will tell you that you need xinetd installed (although
you can find documentation for inetd at the hotwayd website which you
can't access!).  I tried installing xinetd and hotwayd STILL wouldn't
work, so I almost gave up and removed xinetd, planning to install inetd
back again through apt-get.

In fact, apt-get suggested I install a package called netkit-inetd, and
once I did this, hotwayd started working.  If you are thinking about
installing hotwayd, I suggest you install this package first.  You can
check that hotwayd is up and running by doing (in a console):

telnet 127.0.0.1 110

and you should see this:

$ telnet 127.0.0.1 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK POP3 hotwayd v0.8.2 -> The POP3-HTTPMail Gateway. Server on ubuntu
active.

Now, with this running as a daemon you can set up any mail accounts for
Hotmail, MSN, and Lycos and have them imported into your email program.
Hotmail can even download its bulkmail folder so you can clear things
out.  Here's how (these examples are for hotmail):

First, set up your email program as usual and set up your account as a
pop3 account. Give the user name as your whole email address, for
example, BillGates at hotmail.com.  Your password will be your hotmail
password.

The incoming server will be 127.0.0.1

The port will be 110 (although this can be changed in the hotwayd
configuration file).

If you want to download you bulkmail folder, you will have to set up a
separate account inside your email program with a user name of, for
example, BillGates at hotmail.com/bulkmail

Using KMail (as I do) you can download mail and have it scanned by
bogofilter or spamassassin, and designate it as spam or ham for future
downloads.  Very useful!

Use an existing outgoing server as the one for sending mail.

Hope this is of help to others

--

Old Rocker