Nautilus acts as a front-end... (was: Re: Limit size of .thumbnails folder)

Yuki Cuss celtic at sairyx.org
Sun Jan 22 08:47:48 UTC 2006

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

>On 12/12/05, Sasha Tsykin <psychosushi at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>

>>The easiest way to limit the size of any folder is to put it in it's own
>>partition. Barring that, I don' think there is an option to do so in
>>nautilus because nautilus does not control movement to the folder from
>>the terminal, it acts just as a graphical front end for such commands as
>>"mv" and "cp" and does not is fact have functionality independent of theirs.
>>

>Can you really confirm this 'nautilus' thing of using stuff like 'mv' and 'cp'.
>That used to be my assumption once, but on checking out the output of
>'lsof', 'cp' ain't there at all. In fact, nautilus seems to do the
>copying itself. I saw it all using 'lsof'.
>
>Thanks...

Even if it doesn't act as a front end, it's still just dependent on a
setting that nautilus might let you set. Even if it does, it's the same
- it could do the check to see if it's `n' bytes large before attempting
to mv or cp.

Putting it in a partition is a pretty bad workaround - a lot of work.
Quotas might help, somehow, here.

 - Yuki.