Grub editing ?

squareyes squareyes at internode.on.net
Sat Jan 21 03:19:52 UTC 2006

Mauricio Hernandez Z. wrote:

>On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 11:15 +1030, squareyes wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>am going to install Edubutu on a separate partition, am I correct in
>>assuming that Edubutu will
>>take over Grub?
>>If so what do I need to do to edit Grub to allow me to dual boot Ubuntu
>>and Edubutu?
>>Am pretty much a newbie in this regard, is there a wiki page I could
>>check out?
>>many thanks in advance.
>>Take Care
>>Winton
>>

>Well, it all depends on what you expect.
>
>Indeed, installing from CD to a seperate partition will install
>'regular' Ubuntu core and GNOME + edu-apps + LTSP (modified version) +
>wallpapers. So, yes, it will take Grub editing.
>
>Other alternative would be to just 'apt-get install edubuntu-desktop
>edubuntu-server' which will install all Edubuntu stuff onto current
>Ubuntu system ;)

Hi Mauricio,
am aware it's different, but am on dialup, and will take too long to
download. Besides I like to experiment, sometime they even work :-)
I intend to hand it out to a few schools in my area, and would like
to know something about it.

>Whatever you do, please do not think Edubuntu LTSP is standard LTSP
>everyone had used before because it is a mistake. Edubuntu LTSP works
>forwarding X over SSH and the display manager is L.D.M (not GDM nor KDM)
>and the files are located in /etc/ltsp/  not  /opt/, for example.
>
>Now about Grub... long time (too long) I dont have to edit it so I'll
>let someone else respond to that.
>
>Regarding wiki pages.... wiki:EdubuntuInstallNotes is a good start and
>visiting us in #edubuntu or #edubuntu-es in case tu hables castellano.

Sorry no castellano :-)
will check out those pages, thanks again
Take care
Winton