Ubuntu/Kubuntu on Mac G5.

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Fri Jan 20 19:32:35 UTC 2006

On 20. jan 2006, at 16.54, Jeremiah Foster wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 11:31 +0100, Brian Durant wrote:
>> Sorry for top posting, but I am using Mail.app in OS X, which
>> fulfills all of my needs except that I have to top post :-(
>>
> Nonsense. You can hit reply and insert your text in the right place
> like
> everyone else does.
>
>> I want to install Kubuntu Dapper Flight 3 on a second SATA internal
>> drive. In the system profile, my Macintosh HD shows up with "disk0s3"
>> as the BSD name, whereas the HD I want to install on has the BSD name
>> of "disk1s3". Does the command for "sata/scsi: sudo mount -t
>> hfsplus /
>> dev/sdaX /mount/point" still apply for Ubuntu/Kubuntu?
>>
>> I tried the Ubuntu Dapper Flight 3 PPC live-CD, which is the newest
>> available, so the fan problem must still not have been addressed.
>>
> If it is not in the latest live CD it will not likely be in the latest
> install CD.

Interestingly, I got this as part of a response from the debian-
powerpc list:

"Well, the ubuntu kernel is fully different from the debian kernel,
and has
absolutely no relationship, except the occasional patch exchange, so ...

Fabbionne, when he was maintaining the ubuntu kernel used to talk to
us, but
since maintainership changed for the ubuntu kernels, this is no more
the case."

While seeking clarity, it seems that I have stumbled into murky
waters. How different are the kernels? How can I resolve this issue?
There doesn't seem to be anyone else on the list with a Power Mac G5.

>>> - snip -
>>>
>>> I can't help with your earlier questions, but...

>>> for first ide drive:
>>>
>>> sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/hdaX /mount/point
>>>
>>> for sata/scsi:
>>>
>>> sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/sdaX /mount/point

>>> For the first ide drive it should be hda, for sata or scsi it
>>> should be sda.
>>>
>>> Are you planning to dual boot (OSX and Linux) from the same drive?
>>> If so, you'll need to partition the drive and (re)install OSX, then
>>> install Ubuntu.  There is some information about this on the wiki:
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Installation/PowerPC?highlight=%28install%
>>> 29%7C%28powerpc%29
>>> and the Debian powerpc installation guide is also helpful:
>>> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/

>>> I think this is an issue of having proper thermal control in the
>>> kernel.  I don't have one of these machines so I'm not certain, but
>>> I think this is supposed to be fixed in recent kernels; you might
>>> want to skip Breezy and go for the Dapper pre-release to get a
>>> newer kernel.

>>> Regards,
>>> Larry

Cheers,