Some surprise while "dd-ing" a video DVD...

Andrea Giuliano a.giuliano at iccu.sbn.it
Fri Jan 20 17:24:55 UTC 2006

Okay, I think I almost got it, now: since some sectors can only be
decrypted at hardware level, an attempt to read them with the
appropriate system calls would give an I/O error, right?

This explains also the following: I had right here another system with a
different drive, but the same OS (Breezy), and I don't need libdvdcss to
copy the same video DVDs with dd. I can remove libdvdcss it completely,
eject and reload the disc, or even another one, and dd works fine till
the end of the disc. I guess this means that this particular drive is
able to give the OS access to encrypted sectors without the need of
libdvdcss, right?

But please, lead me to some good documentation, I don't want to bother
the other users on the list with this issue any more, nor you yourself,
except you explicitly tell me you don't mind to carry on the discussion
a bit between us.

Best regards.

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico