apt-get -f install problems

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jan 20 13:50:28 UTC 2006

Darren Wyn Rees wrote:

>From the command prompt I removed Postfix (as I have qmail
> as MTA).  I used
>   dpkg --ignore-dependency=mailx/mutt/etc... postfix
>
> So now, the package system complains that there are "unmet
> dependencies", for example with mutt.
>
> How can I configure the system so that it knows that these
> dependencies are not a problem ?

OK, that's your fault.  You must have _some_ package that supplies
"mail-transfer-agent".  If you won't use a qmail .deb (they must exist - I
used to have it years ago), then you need to create a dummy package that
"provides mail-transfer-agent".  The package "equivs" is what you want.
Create a package called "qmail-dependencies", so that the relationship to
qmail is obvious.

Or just pick the smallest package that provides mail-transfer-agent, install
it, and disable it.
--
derek