Ubuntu as a server

Paul O'Malley ompaul at eircom.net
Fri Jan 20 09:59:04 UTC 2006

Duncan Anderson wrote:

> As far as enabling the root login goes, it seems that is up to the
> administrator of the system. I would probably do so, because that is
> what I am used to. I can see the point of using sudo for certain
> things, but I am probably obtuse, because I can't really understand
> what makes it better that "su".
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Duncan

Hi Ducan,

Be nice to yourself, just use sudo for a week. You won't look back.
As soon as you are not using sudo you are just the ordinary user again.
There is nothing you can't do if you really feel that you need root do
sudo -i, however the thing here being that all your sudo commands end up
in /var/log/auth* so you have an audit trail which is much more than
your bash history :-) handy at times.

Just use a strong password and be happy :-)

Once you get used to it you will wonder why it is not implemented
everywhere.

Regards,

Paul