Failed SATA array (/dev/md0) - How to tell which SATA drive is "/dev/sdd"

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jan 18 17:30:21 UTC 2006

hdparm works on sata drives in the newer dapper kernels.  Other than
that, the ports on the card should be numbered corresponding to the
sequence the kernel uses.  i.e. sdd should correspond to the 4th port on
the controller.

You also might want to run badblocks on /dev/sdd to see if the drive
actually is failing, or if something just hickuped and kicked it
offline.  If it went offline for no good reason ( I've heard of this
happening ) you should be able to use mdadm to bring the drive back
online.