Some surprise while "dd-ing" a video DVD...

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jan 18 15:27:22 UTC 2006

Andrea Giuliano wrote:
> I know that a video DVD has an ISO9660 filesystem, just like any data
> DVD or CD (if I'm not wrong). So I thought I could create an ISO image
> of a video DVD using "dd" or "readcd", for instance.

DVDs use the UDF filesystem, no iso9660.  You can burn your own DVD with
an iso filesystem on it, and I believe you have to if you want it to be
bootable, but commercial DVDs use UDF.

> But "dd" issues an "input/output error" after a few seconds, and so does
> "readcd". I thought this could be due to the encryption used on video
> DVDs, but Nautilus can mount video DVD without problems, how can it do
> that?

Yes, the disc is encrypted and to mount it, it must be unlocked.
Nautilus does this automatically.

> Then, the solution came by itself: I just viewed a few seconds of the
> DVD with "mplayer", then tried again with "dd" and... voilà, "dd" goes
> on and on till all the ISO image is copied on my hard drive (a few hours
> later...). I did all the above absolutely without any intention, I just
> noticed that it worked!
>
> What did "mplayer" do that allowed "dd" to work?

It unlocked the disk, which means it sent the drive a valid key to
decrypt the encrypted blocks.