how to download kernel source code and rebuild the kernel

A. Andria asep.andria at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 06:45:49 UTC 2006

A. Andria wrote:

>>>I found a good guide:
>>>http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=85064. Enjoy all the wonder
>>>of kernel compilation, although chances are that it won't make a
>>>difference anyway in terms of noticeable performance improvements.
>>

>The needs of  recompile the kernel for me is not the performance
>improvements but I want to add my idVendor and idProduct for my devices,
>so the devices known by Breezy.
>
>Regards,
>Andria.

When kernel rebuilding is completely done. There is a message at the
bottom of the command line :

In order to use the new kernel image you have just installed, you
will need to reboot the machine.  First, however, you will need to
either make a bootable floppy diskette, re-run LILO, or have GRUB
installed.

Checking for ELILO...No

GRUB is installed. To automatically switch to new kernels, point your
default entry in menu.lst to /boot/arch/i386/boot/bzImage-2.6.12-8hcl

The question is, what should i change on menu.lst ?

What's wrong in menu.lst option below ?

===============================
title           Ubuntu, kernel bzImage-2.6.12-8hcl
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /arch/i386/boot/bzImage-2.6.12-8hcl root=/dev/hda1 ro
quiet splash
boot

The message if I choose that option is :
Error 15 : File not found
Press any key to continue...

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,