Windows, Linux, The Debate: which is best?

Sasha Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 13:55:58 UTC 2006

Duncan Anderson wrote:

> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>
>> I'd like to quote a post from 2004 by Kelsey Bjarnason on alt.os.linux.
>> When someone said Linux was always in the future:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
> (A very amusing and pertinent quote followed.)
>
>> -----------------
>> End quote
>>
>> But I guess that's just one man's opinion, right?
>>
>> Cybe R. Wizard
>>

> I should like to add my 2c worth:
>
> 1. GNU/Linux software is more often than not developed for the love of
> the technology, as opposed to other software where monetary gain is
> the motivating factor.
>
> 2. Windows is an overpriced form of neo-colonialist spyware which
> consists of badly designed software overlaid with more badly designed
> software overlaid with more badly designed software overlaid with ...

Do you even know what neo-colonialist means? I admit, that is the
context, I have no idea what you are talking about and must assume you
have launched into a rant. How is windows spyware? As for the badly
designed software, that is in my opinion wrong, but definitely up for
debate and not a foregone conlusion.

> 3. Compare the number of hits you get if you do a google search using
> the following arguments:
>
>   a. +linux +security +problems -windows -microsoft
>   b. +windows +microsoft +security +problems -linux
>
> This may not prove anything, but it is surely evocative.

You're right. It proves nothing. Quality, not quantity. If one bug is a
showstopper, it is worse that a hundred (or ten thousand) which aren't.