Windows, Linux, The Debate: which is best?

Sasha Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 10:52:11 UTC 2006

Bry wrote:

>> Message: 8 Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:08:05 +0200 From: "Billy
>> Verreynne \(JW\)" <VerreyB at telkom.co.za> Subject: RE: Windows, Linux,
>> The Debate: which is best? To: "Ubuntu Help and User Discussions"
>> <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Message-ID:
>> <445F36B0271AE1419CEE0B9589044B4321B346 at TYGRRA01-XCS00.telkom.co.za>
>>>

>> alt.os.linux.

>> <snipped>
>>
>> So what? Since when does 'the truth' make a difference in world of
>> sellers and buyers? Seriously.
>>
>> You cannot attack the Windows Desktop Market with a "my o/s is better
>> than yours". Marketing 101.
>>
>> End-users does not give a damn about the so-called technical
>> superiority of Linux over Windows (which is arguable anyway). They are
>> driven by different needs and requirements.
>>
>> For Linux to make in-roads into the home user desktop market requires
>> not technical superiority, but some common marketing savvy. Or even
>> better, a grokking the basic principles of warfare as per von
>> Clausewitz. Never attack a bigger enemy in entrenched positions with a
>> frontal attack. Outflank them. Wage guerilla warfare against them.
>>
>> But proclaiming that your shiny gun is technically superior than that
>> of the enemy when outgunned a million to one is just plain stupid.
>> Battles and wars are not won that way. Nor marketing share.
>>

>> --
>> Billy
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

> I would like to point out that being the "best" does not necessarily
> mean much of anything.
>
> Myself and many other users/former users (including most of the
> world's banks ) of OS/2 can testify to this.
>
> Last month OS/2 was discontinued by IBM. It is alive now only as an
> "OEM" (their words ..not mine :-)  ) distribution called eCS by a
> relatively small company called Serenity.
>
> OS/2 indeed brought a number of  innovations to computer use and is in
> some aspects what the "non dos" versions (NT) of windows borrowed from.
>
> I still consider OS/2 (eCS) superior to windows... Even though we are
> gradually migrating at my business to Linux I still have OS/2 in it's
> eCS form on my personal desktop. From it I can run all the legacy apps
> we have used through the years, run some ported Linux apps  (GIMP
> Imagemagick etc) as I have installed XFree86 on it and run a number of
> win32 apps via ODIN which one might say is OS/2's version of wine.
>
> Migrating to linux is somewhat of a necessity as despite the OS being
> kept alive by serenity systems, there just isn't the developer numbers
> to keep up porting and patching things now that IBM has turned toward
> Linux. ( the amount of developers working on ODIN for example can be
> counted on one hand at the moment). I have my doubts on the longevity
> of eCS as an alternative.
>
> We DO have a couple of windows workstations ,(specifically for Corel
> [...]
very true. Ultimately it will be marketing that plays a big part in the
"OS wars," but not only marketing. Also important is usability. That is
crucial because somebody might have decent knowledge of computers,
migrate to linux, and then decide to leave it alone (happened to me
about one and half years ago, the first time I tried linux). The third
thing that linux needs is the support of major companies such as IBM,
Many people buy their pc's with an operating system already installed,
and linxu needs the major vendors to do that not only with windows. IBM
will apparently start packaging computers with linux. Then there will
probably be no issues with drivers and software. That is crucial to
linux's continued progress on the desktop.

Sasha