Ubuntu/Kubuntu on Mac G5.

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at mac.com
Mon Jan 16 22:32:22 UTC 2006

Hi,

I haven't been on the list since my Win 2k Ubuntu box's motherboard
went south. I haven't worked with Linux since, so I guess I would
still consider myself a newbie. Now I have a Mac G5 single and have
been trying to get Ubuntu/Kubuntu to work. My first positive
experience was when I tried the Dapper (Flight 3) Live CD. Startup
graphics were a little off, there were a number of error messages
during boot, my fan started reving and I couldn't get a 1280 x 1024
resolution, but hey, it booted and I could configure eth0 for the
Internet and run apps. Even though it doesn't sound like much, I can
see a big improvement and think the development team deserves kudos
for getting as far as they have so quickly. The new Macs aren't easy
to develop a Linux system for. Anyway, here are some of the things I
am looking for, so anyone that can provide some info, please jump in.
Some of the necessary info may just have escaped my attention :-)

1) Mac centric Ubuntu/Kubuntu e-mail list.
2) Mac FAQ or Unofficial Mac FAQ.
3) Kubuntu Dapper (Flight 3) Live CD (I only found Ubuntu and want to
decide which one I want to install.).
4) How do you mount an HFS+ partition?
5) How do I spot my Macintosh HD when I install? What will it be
listed as?
6) Solution for the fan reving problem?

I have more, but this is a good start. Glad to be back.

Cheers,

Brian