deletion of /dev files

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jan 16 15:27:20 UTC 2006

R Kimber wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 09:37:48 +1100
> Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>> > Yes but
>> >
>> > ~/>mount -t ext2 /dev/sda4 /media/zip
>> > mount: only root can do that
>>
>> Isn't this what the pmount command is for? From man pmount:
>>
>>  pmount - mount arbitrary hotpluggable devices as normal user
>
> Ah.  Thanks.  I'd never heard of pmount.  I'll experiment with it.

Well, I did mention it in this thread two days ago...

I'm more concerned with what's wrong that it doesn't recognize your
partition.  mount (and pmount) aren't supposed to need to know the type.
It's faster to use -t, but without it (from man mount):

"If no -t option is given, or if the auto type is specified, mount will try
to guess the desired type. If mount was compiled with the blkid library,
the guessing is done by this library. Otherwise, mount guesses itself by
probing the superblock; if that does not turn up anything that looks
familiar, mount will try to read the file /etc/filesystems, or, if that
does not exist, /proc/filesystems. All of the filesystem types listed there
will be tried, except for those that are labeled "nodev" (e.g., devpts,
proc and nfs). If /etc/filesystems ends in a line with a single * only,
mount will read /proc/filesystems afterwards. "

It would seem that you must have an /etc/filesystems with no "*" line and no
ext2 filesystem mentioned.
--
derek