firefox problems was firefox friendly et al

Scott angrykeyboarder at angrykeyboarder.com
Mon Jan 16 00:26:09 UTC 2006

Bry wrote:

> Regarding not getting into the Wiki  I have noticed on eCS going to the
> (ubuntu)WIKI results in a message qustioning an unknown certificate.
> Possibly  not getting that page is a certificate problem?

Most secure web sites (from major companies anyway) purchase SSL
certificates from a Certificate Authority (CA) in order to authenticate
their identity.

Examples of CAs include Verisign, RSA, Usertrust, Equifax, & (a comany
Mark Shuttleworth should be quite familiar with) Thawte. Just to name a few.

There is no "law" stating one can't produce their own certificate.
Anyone with a web site can, if they choose not to purchase one from a
traditional CA.

Ubuntu's CA is issued by it's parent company, Canonical.

Firefox has certificates installed from all the major "Trusted"
authorities (such as the ones I mentioned above).   When you land on a
secure site who's certificate is not from one of those authorities, you
get the pop-up dialog box warning you of such.   Since Canonical is not
one of the CAs installed in Firefox you'll get the warning.

If you check the box that reads something like "Accept this forever" you
won't get that warning  the next time you go back to the same site (or
any secure site who's CA is Canonical) as the certificate will now be
installed in Firefox.

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com