Mathematica software

Eduardo Sáenz de Cabezón eduardo.saenz-de-cabezon at dmc.unirioja.es
Sun Jan 15 22:21:56 UTC 2006

Charles Malespin wrote:

>Hi all, I am learning mathematica in school right now and I want to know
>if there is a similar program for ubuntu that I can use on my box at
>home.  How different are they?  I would like somthing very similar so Im
>not learning two differnt programs to do the same thing.  Thanks,
>Charles

I don't know what kind of math you're using... I f you want Mathematica,
you can buy the linux version... but if you prefer free stuff, I guess
Macsyma (Now Maxima, I think) or Octave will fit fit you, you can also
try  the free version of Mupad. These are general-purpose rograms, like
Mathematica, Maple or Matlab.. If you need some specialized stuff you
can tell what do you really need. Regarding how similar they can be, of
course syntax and other things will vary a lot, ... they are different
programs anyway (although in many cases lots of the algorithms in the
background are very similar)

You can also check MAthKnoppix (or something like that, I don't remember
the name properly) there are lot's of math progrmas there

Cheers