Will Ubuntu use KDE instead of Gnome ?

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Jan 15 08:40:33 UTC 2006

Cybe R. Wizard Wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 22:08:36 -0800

> Rob Blomquist <rob (AT) robandmegan (DOT) net> wrote:

> And I run GNOME, KDE, XFCE, IceWM, Enlightenment (waiting for E17),

> Fluxbox, Openbox, windowmaker, Afterstep, and several others all on an

> installation of Ubuntu Warty upgraded to Breezy.  The Window

> Manager/Desktop Environment isn't all that important to the distro's

> pluses and minuses.

> Of course, for normal day-to-day work and play I prefer the wonderful

> and unbeatable IceWM.

> Cybe R. Wizard

> --

> "Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00, you don't

> want Linux'".

> 	Bruce Perens

> 		Winduhs

I disagree if the WM comes with config tools.

I prefer using the KDE or Gnome tools to anything distro specific so
expecially for a noobie its easier to have consistent config tools
which don't prevent more experienced users to hand edit.

If you have ever used Suse you can see that without YaST it is
impossible to do anything wheras Ubuntu you can use your choice of tool
for most things.  For instance I don't find SWAT the nicest tool but it
is the tool for configuring SAMBA.  If another tool breaks it then that
other tool is in error.

i.e. all GUI tools don't need to have all options but if they don't
they should gracefully ignore them.

At the moment thier are lots of errors in Kububtu that need fixing but
will probably not be fixed because the main development effort in on
gnome.

example: The cupsd.conf is seriously screwed for network access and
breaks the whole of cups using the KDE config tool.  The developers
don't care apparently because its KDE .but the package is the standard
Ubuntu one.. so it will I presume carry over into the next release...

--
Gowator