ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 17, Issue 156

Bry brymelvin at melvinart.com
Sat Jan 14 17:09:58 UTC 2006

ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

>Message: 7
>Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:27:01 +0000
>From: Old Rocker <old.rocker at blueyonder.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: Simple instructions for getting Java to work on 5.10?
>To: brymelvin at melvinart.com,	Ubuntu Help and User Discussions
>	<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
>On Saturday 14 Jan 2006 03:33, Bry Melvin wrote:
>

>>> I'm new to Ubuntu, so I really need instructions to be fool-proof.
>>> Â The instructions I have found on the web do not work on a default
>>> install. Ideally the JRE or JDK would work with Firefox. Â I need to
>>> be able to access
>>> a web-based java/jre financial application.
>>

>[snipped]
>
>Ubuntu uses a "flavour" of Java and not the standard JRE (why, I don't
>know).  To install it couldn't be easier.
>
>1. Get the Automatix program by opening up a console and put in:
>
>wget http://beerorkid.com/automatix/automatix-ubuntu_4.4-2_i386.deb
>
>and then when its downloaded, do:
>
>sudo dpkg -i automatix-ubuntu_4.4-2_i386.deb
>
>2. This will open up a graphical interface where you can download JRE
>1.5 (and other useful applications).
>
>3. One downloaded you can use java as usual.  One way of checking that
>you have the full JRE installed, is to download the Frostwire
>application which is a GPL file sharing application that runs entirely
>in java, and if it runs, then a standard version of java is installed.
>
>To see more about Automatix, look up the forum post at:
>
>http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=66563
> -- Old Rocker ------------------------------

Well thank you...but I wasn't the one with the problem...I was one of
those saying to install the blackdown java as it is easier and would
serve the person's purposes just fine.

Most banking applets etc don't need the latest Java. Neither does
openoffice.

In fact OpenOffice.org somewhere buried  (in the developer pages? don't
remember) says that Java 1.5 is not yet supported.
It seems  ubuntu installs Java crippled versions (of OpenOffice.org)
anyway. You have to reconfigure that yourself...or install Java and the
Official OpenOffice.org release.

I have been running OpenOffice.org on several operating systems with 1.5
successfully however.

I Have had good luck installing Java from the tar.gz in various flavours
of linux. I haven't found a good reason to NOT do this in Ubuntu other
than you would then need to keep apt synaptic etc. from trying to
install a different Java version. And you would need to manually install
the plugins to your browser. You would  need to keep track of it
manually. I have also alowed Sun Java installed this way to coexist with
the Blackdown Java on several machines . Just make sure that there are
not multiple plugins in browsers .

A second comment area concerning Java. Using wine/winetools I HAVE had
Java1.5 for windows succesfully running in Linux (for fake_windows ),
although I have not had time to try this in ubuntu yet. On SuSe I had
managed to get wine/winetools/java the Netscape interface for MSN Chats
(on netscape7.1 ) and MSN Chat for a friend that didn't want to lose
their MSN chats by changing to linux. (had to instal ie6 msi and some MS
scripting via "winetools" to get this to work though)

FWIW my own primary use of Java is for IBM's DesktopON CALL, as my shop
is slowly in the process of Migration from OS/2 to Linux.
Very slow actually...I'm writing this on X11 enabled  OS/2 (eCS) .

Al I mentioned SHOULD work in ubuntu...  although I haven't tried all of
this yet...We Dumped SuSE for Ubuntu  this past summer.

Bryann